Monday, December 8, 2008

Go Hatters!


10/2/08

I am not a mother who is insulted when people refer to Clara as a boy. Puzzled, perhaps, given that she is usually wearing pink, but not really insulted. When I dress her in something a little more ambiguous, I try even harder than usual to keep a bow in her hair. Well, I was in Dillards, Clara was wearing this outfit and her bow was MIA. A salesman asked me how old he was. I said, with no special emphasis, "She is 10.5 months." He said, "The baby isn't a boy!" I said, "No, she isn't." He insisted, "Really? She looks like a boy!" I, ever trying to be a diplomat, cheerfully remarked that she was wearing a unisex outfit, so it might be hard to tell. The diplomacy wasn't even slightly effectual ..."No! She really just looks like a boy," he persisted.

Hrmph...What happened to "the customer is always right"?

2 comments:

Hilda said...

I could think of some choice comments to make to the very ignorant salesman, but I'll be nice. Clara is a beautiful girl--thanks for all the pictures, Erin. Love, Great Auntie Hilda

Anonymous said...

Typical male - couldn't admit he was wrong!!