Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Michigan Cabin Trip

In mid-July we were able to get together with all of Nathan’s immediate family to celebrate summer birthdays and enjoy time together at a cabin that is owned by his brother-in-law’s family.  We were happy to have the opportunity to share our news with his family in person, too! 

IMG_2075

IMG_2071

IMG_2068 

7/18/09

Incidentally, this is the last picture I have of Clara with her ‘Poppy’, as she referred to her pacifier.  When I found out that we were expecting, there were several transitions that I wanted her to get through so that we wouldn’t have to be too concerned about her reverting to baby behaviors.  I wanted to get rid of the pacifiers (done by end of August), transition her to a big girl bed (done in December), and potty-train her (HA! – no longer on my list of goals).

The transition of getting rid of the pacifier was remarkably easy.  An acquaintance mentioned that if you snipped off the end of the pacifier, it no longer was satisfying to suck on and the baby would eventually give it up.  So, I snipped the end off of every single one and when she asked for one at nap time I gave it to her.  She was very confused and said that it was ‘Dirty – wash it.’ So I rinsed it off and told her it wasn’t dirty, it just had a hole.  She requested another, and so I showed them all to her.  She tried every single one and then began commenting ‘Poppy has a hole’.  She persisted in trying to keep them in her mouth and was a bit more wakeful at night for a few weeks, but I threw all the pacifiers away after I saw that she was just holding them.  The primary downside was that she no longer napped, at all, except in the car. 

No comments: